Carri Hulet is a Senior Mediator at the Consensus Building Institute where she facilitates diverse groups working on public issues including climate change, land use, energy, and transportation. Carri is adept at helping groups assess their strengths and challenges as well as designing and facilitating processes that enable them to make wise, lasting decisions. Carri is also a skilled presenter and teacher. She is affiliated faculty with the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School, and she provides customized trainings for companies, nonprofit organizations, and government entities. Clients and partners who work with Carri describe her as smart, warm, creative, and easy to work with. She strives to build strong relationships with the clients and parties with whom she works, and to help them stay focused on the people and environments their decisions will affect
Areas of Focus
Much of Carri’s work focuses on the impact of a changing climate on local communities and regions. She has helped towns, cities, and regional collaborations develops plans and policies to address climate impacts and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, and she helped create the Climigration Network. Carri has deep expertise in transportation and her interest in the intersection of gender and negotiation informs her training and teaching.
- The Climigration Network
- Resilient Mystic Collaborative
- Medfield State Hospital Strategic Reuse Master Plan
- Boston Harbor Now Strategic Plan
- New England Climate Adaptation Project
- Stormwater Funding Roundtables
The following is a partial list of clients:
National and International Organizations
- International Finance Corporation
- Organization of American States
- The Nature Conservancy
- Oxfam America
- National Estuarine Research Reserves
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Highway Administration
State Agencies and Regional Entities
- Massachusetts, Utah, and Ohio Departments of Transportation
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Massachusetts Area Planning Council
- Cape Cod Commission
- Massachusetts: Cities of Boston and Cambridge; Towns of Falmouth, Lexington, Medfield
- New Hampshire: City of Dover
- New York: Village of Catskill
- South Carolina: Georgetown County
- Utah: Salt Lake City, City of Logan, Cache County
Nonprofit Organizations, Universities, & Foundations
- Boston Harbor Now
- Hoosic River Revival
- Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
- Massachusetts Smart Growth Alliance
- University of Massachusetts, Boston
- Barr Foundation
- Gates Foundation
Education and Affiliations
Carri holds an M.C.P. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a B.A. in Political Science from Tufts University. She is fluent in Spanish.
Books and Articles
- Climigration and the Private Sector. Co-authored with A.R. Siders. Community Development Innovation Review. Anticipated Summer 2019.
- Volunteer Committees: Set Them Up for Success! November 2018.
- Serious Gaming in South Carolina. September 2018.
- Managing Climate Risks in Coastal Communities: Strategies for Engagement, Readiness, and Adaptation. Co-authored with Lawrence Susskind, Danya Rumore, and Patrick Field. Anthem Press, 2015.
- The Practice of Public Dispute Resolution, Measuring the Dollar Value of the Field with Lawrence Susskind. Negotiation Journal Volume 23, Issue 3, pages 355-364, July 2007.
- A Glossary of Deliberative Terms Dispute Resolution Magazine, Volume 12, No. 2, p. 27, 2006.
- Deliberative Democracy Meets Dispute Resolution, Reflections and Insights (teaching video), PON Clearinghouse, Cambridge, MA 2006.